Friday, April 18, 2014

Come to me all ye heavy laden....

I remembered this story I heard many years ago from a friend. It is about an "Ammachi" (an elderly lady). Come day break, she would walk a couple of miles on foot with a basket on her head to sell vegetables at the town market. At the end of the day she would trudge back home wearily with whatever was left in her basket. This was her daily routine.

One day an empty bullock cart happened to pass that way. The cart driver saw the Ammachi and offered her a lift to the town market. The Ammachi hopped on to the cart thanking the man profusely. After few minutes of drive the cart driver turned to the Ammachi and with an amused smile said "Ammachi, at least now you can keep your load down!". The Ammachi had hopped on to the cart but the load of basket was still on her head. She laid the basket down with an embarrassed smile.

I guess this is exactly what happens with many of us  in our lives. Even when there is a chance for respite, we continue to carry the load and even blame everybody else for our troubles! We are so busy with our everyday routine that we don't even find time to pause, sit back, and ponder on our problems to find ways of lightening our burden!

“Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." - The Holy Bible (Matthew 11:28-30)

1 comment: